"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Friday, February 4, 2011

Life (n) [lahyf]: the general or universal condition of human existence

Since I can remember, I've always loved kids. I've been around babies and toddlers since I was one myself. To me, being around kids is second nature. I for one cannot wait until I can have kids of my own. Anyone who knows me knows that the one thing I want most out of life is to have kids of my own. Don't worry, I won't be having kids anytime soon. In the last year a lot of people who are close to me have had kids. It gets me so excited! It amazes me to watch them develop their own personalities. My nephew is five years old. I like to think that I've played a big roll in helping to raise him. He started Kindergarten this year, and he comes home from school saying words like "humongous" and "ridiculous". He can read my text messages, and his memory is unbelievable. I love every second of watching him and my niece grow up. I lost my faith a long time ago, but watching them grow and learn gives me a little hope.
Now here is my point in all of this. No, I haven't come to come life changing realization, but I have decided what I want to do with my life. I want to be a special education teacher. Special needs people are probably the best people in the world. They are real. Their feelings and words are nothing short of genuine.
In eight grade with the help of a teacher, Kate Everett-Gholston, I got the opportunity to spend an hour a week with the special needs kids at my school. It changed my life. There are a boy in the class, Ryan. Ryan didn't talk. We worked with him all year, and by the end of the year the most we got out of him was a barely audible whisper. Ryan touched my heart the most. I could look in his eyes and I just wanted to cry for him. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a voice. However, he was always willing to offer a smile, or a hug, or the occasional kiss on the cheek.
Once I got to high school I didn't see the kids anymore. One day in tenth grade I was going to the bathroom and the tables were set up for lunch. I heart someone yell "Cousin!" I looked up and saw the special needs kids eating their lunch. Before I could register what was going on Ryan's arms were wrapped around my waist and he was crying. He said "Lacey, I talk," It was quiet, but he said it, and that's all I needed. It wasn't long before I had two more sets of arms wrapped around me, Jasmine and Ebony. Two girls from the class I helped with in eighth grade. I was so happy, I couldn't stop crying. The teachers were obviously watching the whole time, I guess not sure of what to do. I walked them back to their lunch table and told their teacher that we were old friends. Ryan, Jasmine, and Ebony introduced me to all of their new friends, each one excited to meet me. I kept looking at their teacher, worried she would be angry that I wasn't in class, but instead she just studied me, smiling.
When I got ready to leave she stopped me and asked how I knew them, and I told her the story. She just looked at me and said "thank you." It was the most sincere thank you that I have ever heard. She told me those kids need to be around more people like me. Until recently, I didn't know what she meant by it. It takes a special person to have that kind of effect on those kids.
Now, almost everyday, toward the end of second block I  sneak away from class to go see those kids. Ryan calls me Cousin. Everyone else just calls me friend. I love them all so much. They hold a VERY special place in my heart.
I know it's hard for some people to understand. That day, I just knew I wanted more and more moments just like that one. I love knowing how happy they get to see me; their faces just light up. It's amazing.
So, there you go. THAT is why I chose this career. It is life changing. I cannot wait!

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment